Employment Opportunities at the Zeal Center for Entrepreneurship
Job Title: Executive Director
Zeal Center for Entrepreneurship
Reports To: Zeal Board Chairman,
Takes direction from Zeal Board of Directors
Vision: To create a thriving epicenter of entrepreneurship and pipeline of emerging rapid growth businesses to expand and diversify the Sioux Falls economy.
Mission: To foster entrepreneurship by providing a dynamic environment to grow emerging businesses.
Values: Passionate (For achieving our vision and mission and while living our values)
Adaptable (Continuously evolving offerings and organization to meet client needs)
Teamwork (Work together to help team members, clients and partners succeed)
Integrity (Ethical, accountable and professional)
Fun (We work hard, let’s have some fun while doing it!)
Job Description: The Zeal Executive Director provides leadership in promoting and driving entrepreneurship throughout the Sioux Falls area. Leading a small team in daily operations and working closely with internal and external stakeholders, including a board of directors, the Executive Director develops and executes innovative strategies and activities, ensures organizational financial stability, develops personnel, and creates organizational effectiveness in positioning Zeal as the hub for entrepreneurs in this region.
This is an exempt, full-time leadership position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Operational Leadership: Provides overall leadership, direction and clarity to daily functions around staff, finances, marketing, programming, partnerships, etc. Establishes priorities that align with the overall strategic direction of the organization and ensures that appropriate policies and procedures are in place. Remains current on trends around innovation, business strategy, workforce development, economic development and topics important to entrepreneurs and the Sioux Falls economy.
2. Strategic Plan: Works with the Board of Directors and team members to establish strategy with measurable annual goals and objectives. Directs the implementation of the strategic plan, monitors progress, and provides regular updates and outcomes to the team and the Board.
3. Entrepreneurial Facility and Equipment: Provides a dynamic environment and spaces for entrepreneurs to gather, learn, work and grow. Evaluates and expands services to meet growing entrepreneur needs; especially around technology, equipment and common space. Ensures a positive client experience through established tenant policies and communications, use of CRM-type software (IncuTrack) and facility management protocols.
4. Entrepreneurial Programs: Leads program and networking development to promote entrepreneurship and support entrepreneurs, especially those in early stages. Seeks and secures
high profile entrepreneur talent to support programs and entrepreneur services. Builds and maintains a successful Entrepreneur-in-Residence program.
5. Partnerships: Establishes working relationships with other organizations and companies supporting entrepreneurship, entrepreneur groups, Professional Partners, economic development groups and the Sioux Falls Chamber in order to maximize Zeal’s value and ability to connect entrepreneurs with appropriate resources.
6. Marketing/External Relations: Leads the development and implementation of marketing strategy to promote Zeal to target audiences and the general community. Directs community relations and promotes the economic impact of Zeal to local, regional and statewide stakeholders. Servers as a spokesperson for Zeal.
7. Staff Supervision: Leads staff to be productive contributors to the organization’s mission. Develops job descriptions for positions approved by Board of Directors and hires, manages and terminates team members as needed. Conducts annual performance and salary evaluations. Builds the Zeal team.
8. Financial Management/Fund Development: Leads the development of the Zeal annual budget and insures that Zeal achieves its strategic financial goals. Is responsible for identifying and securing additional funding sources on an ongoing basis with the assistance of the Board. Establishes and maintains financial policies with the Board of Directors. Provides financial oversight with accounting and payroll vendors.
9. Corporate Governance & Operations: Responsible for managing Zeal board meetings and communications, board member nomination and selection process, and board development. Responsible for maintaining appropriate insurance, tax filings, registrations and licensing, and organizational contracts, agreements and its bylaws.
10. Forward Sioux Falls: Serves as the Zeal representative for the Forward Sioux Falls entrepreneurship initiatives. Participates as needed based on each five-year campaign process.
11. Additional Duties: Assumes other responsibilities as directed by the Zeal Board of Directors.
Qualifications (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required):
1. Minimum four-year college degree required, master’s degree preferred.
2. A minimum of five years past non-profit, public or private leadership experience required. Business incubation or entrepreneurship background is preferred.
3. Demonstrated success building stakeholder support and working with other leaders in entrepreneurship, business, government, education and nonprofits.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of entrepreneurship and entrepreneurship-focused organizations.
5. Must be self-motivated, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and exercise good judgment.
6. Ability to use discretion in handling matters of a confidential nature.
7. Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and ability to motivate others.
8. Valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
9. Ability to travel occasionally.
10. Ability to work extended hours.